Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Early impressions of Japan
















In the country of Rising Sun there are many great things which I will never forget! I had so many early impressions: the weather, the food, cute Japanese children, but maybe most importantly, the friendliness and helpfulness that the Japanese show towards foreigners. I was expecting to see all the beautiful temples, small houses, cool cars, but I never thought that I will see so many people riding bicycles. I was amazed that in Japan bicycles are widely used for everyday life by people of ALL age groups AND social standings. Cycling to work, school, picking up children from preschool or doing the daily groceries are among the activities commonly done by bicycle. I was very impressed by parking spaces for bicycles-they are huge and I always see thousands of bicycles parked there. Actually, in Japan, bicycles are everywhere! :)

In Japan, bicycles come in different shapes and sizes equipped with basket on the front and on the back. Many Japanese people even give names to their bicycles as I was told by some Japanese girls of age 20-22.
Above are some photos, which I took on my way back to Seminar House from Kansai Gaidai:

2 comments:

visual gonthros said...

You have chosen an interesting topic for your post on early impressions. There sure are a lot of bikes here, which has both advantages and disadvantages. What exactly are you trying to show in your photos? Do you recognize all the special gear that woman attach to their bicycles to avoid exposure to the sun? I'd like to see more of a relationship between your text and photos in your posts.

You could probably find some interesting links to include for this subject as well.

What were some of the names of the bicycles?

I actually like your photos quite a lot - I think you have a good eye and I look forward to your future posts.

p.s. Please enable anonymous comments.

a rock said...

Very cool photos and post!!! I agree I never expected Japan to be so bicycle friendly! :) I think it would cool if you had time and could take time-lapse photographs of the bike parking lot throughout the day as more and more students come to school and park their bikes to show how quick the lot fills up(especially when all of the Gaidai students start school) to show how bikes are so prominent on campus.
Nice Job!
-Angelica