Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Neighbourhood Hirakata











I live in Seminar House 3. Everyday I walk to and from college. Usually, I walk through the housing estate. It is very peaceful and safe, but the main reason I walk there is that I love looking at the houses and people. Everyday I see something new on the same street. Neighbourhood around here is very friendly. Many young and old people live here and lots of children. They often greet me with a smile. Some of them even try talking to me.

I think that any neighbourhood consists of people, pets they have, houses they live in; shops, restaurants, etc. These things define a neighbourhood. In this post I would like to talk little bit about Japanese houses, because I will have another opportunity to talk about Japanese people.

Even though, in Japan houses are very small, I really like the way they look. They look like they are from a fairytale! And all of them have different constructions and are of different colours.

Outside every house there are many different plants and flowers; lots of umbrellas, bikes and bicycles; toys; instruments. That’s why most of them look very messy.

I put up a picture of an apartment block, in which you can see people leaving their laundry drying on the balconies. On one hand, Japanese houses seem very closed; conservative in their architecture, you don’t really know what is inside. On the other hand, people leave their laundry outside, which I think is a very personal thing to do. By looking at it, you can see who is living in the house and what their profession is. I think it’s kind of contradictory.








1 comment:

visual gonthros said...

Once again, nice photos. I like how you define neighborhood and then focus in on your specific interest. Perhaps more text describing the picture might be useful. How about links dealing with Japanese housing?